A PETITION TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES,
the Honorable Donald Trump, April 2017
Dear Mr. President:
WE, the undersigned people humbly ask the Trump Administration to please give Good Friday commemorative status in the USA as a national federal holiday, as we draw your attention to the following:
THAT, over 135 countries commemorate Good Friday as a national holiday. For many of these countries, trading ceases, and as a result, the financial institutions are closed for the day in observance of this special day. However, in the United States, Good Friday is not a government holiday at the federal level while individual states and municipalities may observe the holiday. Private businesses and certain other institutions may close or not for Good Friday, according to their preferences.
To date, the stock market is closed on Good Friday in the USA and trading is ceased. However, the vast majority of businesses are opening either full or half day on Good Friday and many employees may observe Good Friday, as a floating holiday. The postal service operates, and banks regulated by the federal government do not close for Good Friday. Most schools and universities close for Good Friday, either as a holiday in its own right or as part of a spring break lasting a week or more.
As Good Friday is not a government holiday at the federal level, although many states do observe the holiday, this campaign effort is for all 50 states to commemorate the holiday. There are some states which do commemorate Good Friday as a state holiday, including the following:
- Hawaii, where city and state offices are closed and some forms of public transport are shut down (e.g. buses which run on the state holiday schedule).
- In some areas, such as Perry County in Tennessee, Good Friday is a school holiday.
- Good Friday is a holiday designated by the governor as a day of fasting and prayer in Connecticut.
- In accordance with state law, Indiana state employees are given a day off on Good Friday, a religious holiday.
- Good Friday is a state holiday in Delaware.
- Good Friday is a state holiday in Kentucky (Half Day).
- Good Friday is a state holiday in Louisiana.
- Good Friday is a state holiday in New Jersey.
- Good Friday is a state holiday in North Dakota.
- Good Friday is a state holiday in Tennessee.
- Good Friday is a state holiday in Texas (optional).
***State and local government offices and courts are closed, as well as some banks and postal offices in these states.
AS OUR REQUEST, the undersigned people seek to establish Good Friday as a national federal holiday in the United States of America.
THEREFORE, in view of the foregoing, we, the undersigned, respectfully present this petition to be decided by you in an executive order hopefully before Good Friday 2018.
Sincerely Yours,(Signature and Addresses are attached)